Thursday, April 24, 2014

blog post 2. Doug Hansen.

When I started to read the book, and as I got to know my characters within the story, there was one character who i liked more than rest. It wasn't that i didn't like any of the other characters. i just liked Doug Hansen more. He was a very nice guy and led a simple life by working at a post office. He Never got into trouble and did his best to work hard.
       
"'The climb is over for me.' -'You're a tough bastard. I think you've still got a good shot at the top once you recover.'…It was rough seeing him so discouraged. He'd become a good friend, unstintingly sharing the wisdom he'd gained during his failed attempt on the peak in 1995…Around my neck, I wore a Xi-stone…that Doug had given me early on in the expedition. I wanted him to reach the summit almost as bad as I wanted to reach it myself"(130)

This was a quote from within the book. It shows how encouraging and positive Doug was even when he was near death. It also shows how he gave his necklace away. So we know Doug is kind until the end. We can also tell that Doug was a liked person by the way Krauker describes him as a close friend. It made me sad to see that Doug had to die. And if i were to go on a trip like this i would want someone like Doug as a traveler with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment