Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Comment In response to Devan's post -Lexie

My comment won't post for some reason so that's why I'm doing it like this.

Anyways, I was also very interested in the deaths as well as physically debilitating injuries that occur when attempting to reach the summit of Mount Everest. In my blog post, I wrote about HAPE, which is a horrible form of altitude sickness that unless treated immediately, almost guarantees death. HAPE however is a result of Hypoxia. Hypoxia occurs when the brain receives very little oxygen and begins to deplete. According to Health Line, common symptoms of Hypoxia include memory loss, reduced ability to move your body, difficulty paying attention and difficulty making sound decisions. Severe symptoms include seizures, coma and trouble or no breathing. Another common injury I noticed was frostbite. According to web md, frostbite occurs when body tissue freezes due to a lack of blood flow. Both of these injuries were very common in the reading, and intrigued me to learn more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment