Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Jon Krakauer- Blog #2

Jon Krakauer

As I first started the book I assumed it would be all facts, Jon Krakauer only seemed to be a journalist who had a dream as a kid; although, as I got to know Jon while reading on I realized his physical, mental, and emotional strength. Not only was he strong he was determined, and caring. When he got married he put his climbing days to rest but the pull of Everest was too much, as soon he was asked by the magazine Outside to join them in a climb he immediately said yes and asked for the time to get prepared, “I asked Mark Bryant, the editor of Outside, if he would consider postponing the assignment for twelve months (which would give me time to train properly for the physical demands of the expedition).” (27)  Because Jon had stopped his climbing career for so long he needed the time to get back in shape and prepare for the climb. Taking this much time showed how strong-willed Jon was. Throughout the trip Jon fought through a lot of a pain. After their first acclimatization trip to Camp One he got a headache that sent him to his tent but he didn’t complain he just tired to get over it. “I’d never experienced anything like it: crushing pain between my temples- pain so severe that it was accompanied by shuddering waves of nausea and made it impossible for me to speak in coherent sentences.” (85) Even though Jon was in such pain he did not turn around and give up he fought through and kept going the next day. Early in the book Jon seemed to have caught some sort of cough and as he gets to higher altitude the cough only gets worse he says that it feels as though someone is stabbing him the chest as he climbs and takes deep breaths. Despite the searing pain Jon pushes on he has not only spent money but his time and he is not willing to give up everything because of this pain. There are many aspects to Jon’s strength and determination but he is not only strong he is also caring. When he gets to the bottom he can only look back and see pain when many others would see success because they got to the top. “Safe now, the crushing strain of the preceding days lifted from my shoulders, I cried for my lost companions, I cried because I was grateful to be alive, I cried because I felt terrible for having survived while others had died.”(279) He does not care that he made it to the top all he can think about is his fallen teammates and how much he cared for them. Jon Krakauer is strong-willed and determined when necessary but also caring and considerate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment