Thursday, March 20, 2014

Post 3

Throughout the last 1/3 of this book the tone was very reflective. Jon really looked into himself and in a way tore himself apart. He felt partly responsible for everything that happened the day of the disaster and he really took it hard. At the end of the book where the fellow survivors were saying how they had gotten over it, but Jon had thought about it every single day, even stating that he dreamed about it. This horrible disaster had occurred and he had survived, but then he had to write about it for his magazine which made it even worse. For one, he had to relive all of the horrible times in his head, but to make it even worse he started receving hate letters from family members of some of the victims of the disaster. This made hi feel even more like it was his fault. The image that is put into my head when reading the book is I see him bent over on the couch just thinking about what happened, over and over again. This is why I think he was using a reflective tone throughout the book. He even said at the very end that this was his apology to everyone that he had hurt after the disaster.

My favorite part pf the book was when Jon made it back to camp four after reaching the summit. It was the last happy part of the book which is probably why it was my favorite. It made me really happy because Jon accomplished his biggest life goal, to reach the summit of Mt. Everest. I was glad to see Jon finally accomplish that after having to go through so much in the previous months getting there. What happened after that was very depressing and rough to read, but overreal I still enjoyed the book a lot because it was very exciting and kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time.

No comments:

Post a Comment